Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Trip Home

My last day in Hong Kong was amazing, after we finished at City U, I went hiking up in the mountains. On my adventure, I came across a family of seven wild monkeys. I just stood in awe for like 30 minutes just watching them and marveling at their existence so close to a city of 7 million where the noise never seemed to go away. I felt very refreshed after returning to the hotel later that night and just enjoyed the relaxation that being in another country without any worries provided.

The first indication that this trip changed me came on the flight home. On the flight there, I saw the pecan cookie and thought, "not for me." I gave it away to someone who did want it. On the flight home, I ate the cookie without hesitation or second thought. It wasn't delicious, but it was edible and tasted all right. The sheer fact that I tried this relatively insignificant new thing without a second thought caused me to reflect about what other things had changed in me during this trip.

I didn't fully come to understand the answer to that question until I started talking to my friends back home this past week. A few noticed that I was more confident in myself and my decision making. Most of my friends noticed that I no longer have any fear of making a fool of myself. I have decided that fear(of being alone, not able to make it on my own) will no longer stop me from going on an adventure. This trip caused me to realize that the world really does have 6 billion people on it. They are all different, but friendship and collaboration go beyond differences. Other countries have amazing people in them also. I have returned from this trip an improved person. This trip is one of the greatest things that has happened to me in the last 18(soon to be 19) years of my life. Thank you IPENG.

No comments: